Sunday, October 14, 2012

On my nails now!

Hello there!

So as promised here is my rendition of the Blue Gradient Mani as seen on the Beauty Department
So here's the finished look from the Beauty Department:
and I'm gonna try to do something that is quite similar I would say. So, I followed the Beauty Department's instructions: (except for the one that says not to use a quick drying clear coat as it's the only kind I own):

YOU WILL NEED:  A clear nail polish (don’t use a quick drying clear coat), a white nail polish, a dark rich nail polish color of your choice (WE USED THIS ONE in “INKY”), a metal tray or a piece of cardboard to mix on, acetone or polish remover, a paper towel, paintbrush– the width of the paintbrush must be as wide as or wider than your nail.
  1. Make sure your nails are completely clean and begin by painting your base with a solid white coat. A bright white color is important because it will make your gradient colors stand out! We used THIS ONE.
  2. Next, put five to seven drops of your clear polish on a mixing tray and add 1 drop of polish. Again, it will all depend on the color you’ve picked for your gradient layers… the darker the color, the more drops of clear polish you will need to dilute your original polish color.
  3. Stir this quickly until blended. You’ll want to work fast when mixing because the more air that hits the polish, the quicker it dries.
  4. Decide how many layers you want to create. If it’s 5 (like we did above) imagine your nail divided into those 5 sections. Start with the highest and lightest layer– the lightest should be just below the white as you see in photo number 4. Paint all nails with this color, 4/5 of the way up to the cuticle.
  5. It’s really important to clean your brush completely in between each layer, otherwise you get chunks in the polish.
  6. Now, we make the next shade. Add 5-7 drops of clear polish to 2 drops of the darker polish. Be sure to clean off your tray before each round so that you have a new area to mix.
  7. Next, make your next layer– paint each nail starting 3/5 way up as you see in photo number 7.
  8. Once again, clean off your brush and tray so you can start creating your next color. Mix 5-7 drops of clear polish with 3 drops of your darker color.
  9. Paint this layer on the bottom 2/5 of the nail, closest to the nail tip.
  10. For the last color, I just used the dark polish alone with zero drops of clear. Remember to use your paintbrush to apply so that you get the same line.
  11. By now, you are a layering expert! For your final color, paint each nail starting 1/5 of the way up.
  12. Last but not least, clean around the cuticle using another paintbrush and some nail polish remover.


So these are the products I used:
Sèche Vite Base Coat, Sèche Vite Top Coat, Sinful Colours nail polish in Love Nails 801, a little transparent container to pour the polishes on and to mix them.


I also used this little guy here, it's a nail drying fan and works very well =) I got it from Ebay and love it because I hate waiting around for my polish to dry.


And I decided to use this brush to apply the polish rather than the one on the first picture because it looked too small.





I decided to use my Sèche Base as a first coat because it's quite similar to white polish but looks better on my skintone. Then I poured some of the Sinful Colour Polish out and poured some clear polish too.



 Then I applied my first coat of coloured polish, I didn't mix the clear and coloured polish because the clear one being Sèche Vite,I knew it would dry out on me before I finished one hand. I just tapped the brush on both polishes picking up more of the clear than the coloured one.

(click for a bigger picture)

After that, I kept doing the same thing but picking up less clear and more coloured polish gradually until I had enough layers, then I applied a last coat of clear polish on top of the entire nails.

I hope you like my version of the gradient mani and that I inspired you to try it too. If you do post the pictures to my facebook page, I would love to see them. =)

See you! Bye!
Sonam

2 comments:

  1. Very beautiful !!! congrats
    ladyyv.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks =) I really like these polishes because their colour is true to the one you see in the bottle and with only one coat, I have some more (green and purple), so I will swatch them and add them as an update to this post.
      Glad you liked it!

      Delete

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts, it’s very much appreciated!
Don’t hesitate to post suggestions here and also the links to your own blogs so that I can come visit ^^ and share the love <3
Be sure to check back again, because I’ll respond to your comments as soon as I can.
All SPAM will be deleted. Attacks on myself or other mean and unhelpful comments will be deleted too.
See you! Bye!